Image Map

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

RECIPE: Overnight Oats in a Jar

Hey y'all! Happy Hump Day!
Today I'm talking about something near and dear to all of our Pinterest-loving hearts: mason jars. 
Everyone knows that mason jar makes life a billion times cuter, whether used as centerpieces, DIY candleholders, or for your breakfast. 
After 4 days of trial and error, I think I've put together the perfect mason jar oats recipe. Something about the simplicity of oats and yogurt and fruit just gets me every time, and I love that there are 29423094823049 combinations that you can make with this- you have something new every day!

Oats Base Recipe
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbsp egg whites
  • 1 tbsp almond milk
  • half a scoop of your choice of protein powder (optional)
Add the water to the rolled oats in a bowl and microwave for approximately 40 seconds. Add the egg whites, almond milk, and protein powder and mix it all up. In the picture above, I used vanilla and added a few drops of raspberry extract for a "raspberries and creme" flavor and it was delicious. Then microwave again for 30-40 seconds. Mix it all up again. 

Assembly
This part is entirely up to you. I usually do 1/2 cup greek yogurt mixed with a couple drops of stevia and some berries. Then I just layer it all up until I get to the top! Refrigerate over night for the fruit to melt and the yogurt to thicken and be wonderful. 


because blue food coloring and sprinkles make life happy. 

This was a chocolate coconut parfait, and I think I liked it even better than the raspberries and creme!

There are endless flavor combos, which is what makes this recipe so wonderful. Have you ever tried overnight oats? What's your favorite way to do it? 

Before I peace out on y'all- funny/embarrassing story. Yesterday I went to Trader Joe's and asked for defecated coconut. As most of you probably know, that is not a thing. I was looking for desiccated coconut. That was embarrassing. Oh well, you learn something every day right? Any embarrassing word mishaps on your part? 

Peace out, girl scout. 

xo, Hima

9 comments:

  1. Glorious....I am all over trying this. Thanks Hima :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOO I am always on the look out for recipes like this! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a word mishap at least once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to see you post about it if you do! It's super healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was one I'd rather not happen again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By they way - thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your school is so fun! I want to do this where I work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oatmeal? You can totally make that anywhere :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You probably just made my day :) I do my best to reply to every single one, even if it takes a little while. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so we don't get deprived of a wonderful conversation!
xo, Hima