Image Map

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

On What Blogging Means to Me


When I first started blogging, I wasn't really sure what I was in for. I had been reading blogs on and off for a while, so I knew I didn't want to start off with the built in blogger templates. Before I wrote my very first post, I made sure that the blog looked nice. I had a header, a button, and intro image, social media buttons, and an about me page. If you can believe it, my blog has looked the exact same since day one. I know I didn't want to deal with the whole "first post" awkwardness, so I jumped right in and did a High Five for Friday.
From the beginning, I reached out to a few bloggers to help me find my way in the blog world, and get some feedback. Looking back, I can say that it's the best thing I could have done. I received overwhelmingly positive response from bloggers who were clearly obsessed with blogging, and really believed it could have a positive effect on everyone. A few weeks after I launched Hima Hearts, I learned how to make all my pictures the same size, how NOT to be a no-reply blogger, and where to place photos in posts to break up the text. I found my blogging voice, and really started getting into the groove of things.
A couple of months after I started my blog, I wrote my first "serious" post on how my summer job changed my life (no, really), and went, and it was difficult to write it all out, but I was amazed at the response. I didn’t think a lot of people would read it, because it was a lot longer than my normal posts, and heck of a lot less funny. (Although the idea that I’m funny is my own personal opinion. Am I? Please say yes). The comments on that post made me realize that there are real people behind all the beautiful blogs out there. Y’all aren’t just beautiful clothes-modeling mannequins, or baby-swaddling mothers, or recipe-creating chefs. Everyone has a million sides to them, and that’s the beauty of blogging. You don’t have to be defined to the niche of your own blog- you can write whatever you want. And you don’t have to read only travel blogs, or photography blogs- you can connect with bloggers of all types.
The first time I posted my blog link on Facebook, I was terrified. What if people judged me? What if people thought I was spamming them or clogging up their newsfeed? Once again, the response was overwhelmingly positive. People whom I barely know will come up and talk to me about how much they love my blog, or how funny they thought a certain post was. They'll ask me how I have time to do it, and the answer is simple. I make time.
I started off blogging because I wanted to document the little things in life. I wanted to take more pictures and just take the time to enjoy simple pleasures. Now? Now I blog for SO many reasons. I blog for the little happy dance my heart does when I get an email from Disqus notifying me of a comment. I blog for the friendships I've made- to see an email from Aree, or Noori, or Marla, or Brittany, or Ash, or Erica, or Rachel, or any of my other blog friends pop up in my inbox. I blog for the anonymous "Your blog is kinda sorta INSPIRING." on my paper heart at school last week. I blog to force myself to keep taking photographs. I blog, most of all, for myself. To look back on this in five years to relive the good memories.

This post isn't to mark any kind of anniversary or anything- I just felt like writing about blogging. Now, if you're a blogger, answer this: Why do you blog? If not, tell me something that you love so much that you make time for it, regardless or how busy you are, or how unmotivated you're feeling.

xo, Hima

P.S. Sorry for the seemingly random pictures throughout this post. I didn't want to steal any stock images off the internet, so I just posted some of my own mildly interesting photos to break up the text. Remember the part about photography? ;)

38 comments:

  1. I don't know where I would be without blogging. It has turned into a full time job for me and I absolutely love it! I blog because I love to write and I hope to inspire others. Thanks for sharing - awesome post!!

    xo Megan, Lush to Blush

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you blog! Thanks for the sweet shootout! you are one of a kind girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hima, you are such an inspiration! I have been blogging for over 10 years, on and off, not sticking with it because I can't seem to find my voice or an audience, I go through phases where I'm inspired/not inspired to post. The last few weeks have been a "not inspired" phase. This post was a super nice post to read tonight. What I'm trying to say, is KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK LADY! You and your blog are a happy, amazing spot on the internet and I want to keep reading it! *^_^*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I started writing just because I love telling stories and basically talking constantly. Plus all the bloggers I've met are so amazingly sweet that it's nice to know you know people all over the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started to blogging to document my life. I love your blog. It's amazing!! :)

    Cathy - helllo, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are fun reasons to blog! I started blogging to document my life abroad as I taught and traveled Korea. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog so much!


    www.cocoandchrissy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was so beautifully written, Hima! There is so much that is fun and awesome about blogging--I really, really love the creative aspect as well as the community! It's good to reflect every once in a while WHY we make time for this little hobby. For me, it's worth it. ( And of course it brings me a smile to see my name up there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you said about "making time". It is so true that you have to actively work to MAKE the time to run a blog, especially one as wonderful as yours. ps i LOVE your layout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post and lovely photos :)

    http://creepersandcupcakes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. So young and so smart. Well written ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So perfectly written!! What wisdom and grace you have at such a young age!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clever and a great read! Stopping by from Family Fun Friday and keep it up!!! Carrie, www.amothersshadow.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww thanks Erica! This made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad to hear that! Inspiration is tough- when I'm lacking, I look for it in other blogs...or waste time on Facebook. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think a lot of bloggers never shut up HAHA. I totally agree w/ all over the world! I can't think of multiple US states without thinking of my blog friends who live there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much Cathy! :) Did you do your blog design yourself? I love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  18. See, that's an awesome reason to blog! Such a unique experience!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you! Hope to see you around again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much! I'm flattered that you didn't think it was too random! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much! It took a long time, but I think it turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much! Hope to see you around again- checking out your blog right now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's definitely a huge commitment! Sometimes it's hard to stay up late and write a blog post after I finish homework. Thank you SO much- hope to see you around again :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Rachel! Sometimes it's good to write it all out- you're right :) I DO love seeing your name pop up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heemz , this post is amazing. Behind every blog , there's a reason and I think we both have found the reason <3 write because we love to and we want to. I've learned and known a lot from blogging that I couldn't , in normal routine (plus you , phew) . It shows sweet 16 can be pretty cool writer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you get a chance, look at my post on the turtle or put in 'parents strike back', I think you'll get a kick out of those. Have a great weekend and I look forward to a terrific bloggy friendship. Carrie, amothersshadow.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awww such a beautiful post! Starting a blog was the best decision of my life & I'm glad I met you and other sweet ladies to make our bloggy journey more fun! And putting random pictures for no reason is totally acceptable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awwwwwwww!! <3 <3 <3 SO glad you started your blog and we got to "meet" :] I hope you're proud of yourself for how far you've come and for everything that you have accomplished on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Noori! You're absolutely right. Pshh, let's show those twenty somethings who's really boss!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I completely agree! And I love how we totally get that some days we just can't post because of school and work HAHA. Love you Aree!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I definitely am! So happy I gained an amazing friend like you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  32. I loved reading this! It's always important to look back and reflect on why you even started in the first place. It's so easy to get discouraged when you feel like there aren't a lot of bloggers out there that understand you because they're different ages or because you compare your blogs to others' and you're not sure where to go with yours. I love every word you said. It's so important to keep that perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love reading about why you blog! It's nice that it's encouraging and rewarding for you and your readers! I'm featuring you this week at Family Fun Friday. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just want to say this and get it out. I love it that you blog. Your posts are always positive and bring good things to blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely! I totally agree with what you said about getting discouraged- writing this motivated me some more!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you Ash! You know I loooove your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You probably just made my day :) I do my best to reply to every single one, even if it takes a little while. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so we don't get deprived of a wonderful conversation!
xo, Hima